what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Tuesday 17 January 2012

G-Gbengus

A break-through.  Today, for the first time I discovered a middle name without having to reveal the purpose behind my inquisition.

Buying three pints of Kronenberg and some sweet and spicy nuts at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, I noticed the barman had a badge with his first name followed by an initial.  I knew I had been given an opening.  I asked what the initial stood for.  He told me.  Another barman had the same name and they needed a way to distinguish themselves.  I didn't ask whether that was for the benefit of customers or colleagues.  Then, smoothly, as though out of mere idle curiosity, I asked what his middle name was.  Without prompting, he said he would write it down for me.  I asked what it meant.  'Prince', he replied.  His co-worker asked him how he knew.  'My parents told me it means prince, so it means prince', he said quite fairly.  As I left the co-worker began to chant his middle name.  I suppose it was a compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment