what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Thursday 5 January 2012

Catherine

Two young Hungarian men with pints of lager and prematurely receding hairlines tell me that middle names are very uncommon in Hungary.  I hadn’t considered the cultural difficulties when taking on this project.

Instead I find a blonde-haired girl sitting alone at a table with the remains of a glass of red wine.  A second glass signalled a temporarily absent companion.  After an initial wide-eyed concern, she was happy to help.  She was from Washington DC but with a valley girl accent and Irish roots.  This was her first time in Europe.  She had arrived on 29th December and been to Hogmanay in Edinburgh for the New Year.  She recommended it, especially the Ferris wheel and ice rink.  Tomorrow, she was  flying back to America.  I wished her a safe flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment