what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Wednesday 18 January 2012

Euphemia

Having given up all hope of it's arrival, the doorbell rang at one o'clock this afternoon.  I ran downstairs and opened the door to be greeted by a courier in a black fleece and a florescent yellow gilet bearing my long-awaited box from Amazon.  In my excitement, I tried to sign the screen with the wrong end of the pen.  She told me it didn't matter.  I told her what was inside.  She said it sounded nice and began to be on her way.  My jubilation bubbled over and I told her about my project.  Her strict courier face crumpled into a coy smile.  'Me?'  she asked.  I wrote her name down on the side of the box.  It was her Dad's sister's name, 'from the Caribbean', she explained.  I waved her goodbye and shut the door.  I ran upstairs and ripped brown sellotape and paper.

(After yesterday's ban, I decided to Wikipedia 'Euphemia'.  The Great Martyr Euphemia is a Christian Saint from Chalcedon.  She lived in the 3rd Century AD and was consecrated to virginity from youth.  It is unclear whether this was her own choice or the choice of those around her.  One day, the governor of Chalcedon decreed that all in the city should take part in sacrifices to Ares.  As the "overwhelming, insatiable in battle, destructive, and man-slaughtering" god of war, it is not surprising that he and the consecrated virgin did not see eye-to-eye.  Instead she hid in a house with other Christians where she was discovered worshipping the Christian God.  Unfortunately, the result was that she was tortured on the wheel in the hope of breaking her spirit and eventually eaten by a wild bear in an arena.

'Euphemia' also means 'well-spoken' which is perhaps more suited to my courier.)

No comments:

Post a Comment